Sunday, June 14, 2009

Julian Adventure




Yesterday, my family got together to go on a little adventure to Julian, a small town up in the inland hills of SoCal.  The road we took to get there (an extension of the 78 I think?) was absolutely gorgeous - acres upon acres of rolling hill studded with oaks and cows and the occasional barbed wire fence.  We made the mandatory stop at Dudley's bakery (the best bread I have ever tasted - see picture!) and munched on perfect bear claw pastries before arriving at my grandparents' campsite up in Heise Park.  We decided to take a 3 mile hike up to a view point overlooking the sprawling valley (lush green but studded with the oddly picturesque remains of the last wildfire) on one side and the desert on the other, stretching away to the very visible Salton Sea.  The hike was beautiful and pretty easy except for the first part which was rather steep and I hadn't adjusted to the altitude change yet.  Later, my mom and dad and I took off to find the nearby pond that was on our map but it had long since been filled with vegetation, especially poison oak!  It was a lovely day, and I really want to go back and spend some time in Wynola, (a little town we passed on the way there) it was so quaint and rustic, perfect for a memorable escape from a work-filled week.

No comments: