Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A day off for clothes and belted headbands

Excerpt from a short essay I had to write when I first arrived in London - "Perfection in a giant structure of retail glory, Harrods marks the ultimate in British luxury. With over 330 departments, the store’s motto is Omnia Omnibus Ubique—All Things for All People, Everywhere. It is rumored that one can even purchase an elephant from Harrods. It’s true. My dad attempted to do so, however, apparently it is illegal to import elephants to Modesto, California."

I have today and tomorrow off (due to work complications - I start my new internship on Thursday. Wish me luck!) and so I spent today absorbed in SHOPPING. I spent hours in Harrod's, cruising every section on every floor, just soaking up the splendor of it. Favorite departments? Suprisingly, menswear on the ground floor (I really do love perusing suits and ties, it's like a totally different world!), fine jewelry, and fine decor. The amount of perfect cabinetry, china sets and Swarovski chandeliers was just fantastic. As for the selection for women? Not too impressed with the ready-to-wear. Ball gowns, of course, will always be breathtaking, but as for the rest, I feel like I've seen it all before.


Then I crossed the street and entered TopShop. Sigh. Heaven. Before I knew it, I had my arms full of things I couldn't afford and it was a very painful processes trying to chose just one to come home with. Here are some of my picks:




I ended up going with the jean button-down. It's one of those pieces that's kind of eternal and, as much as I LOVED the oversized, shredded sweater, it wouldn't take much time at all for it to shred beyond recognition.

As for the below shot, (next time I'll try pointing the camera at my head instead of the mirror...genius) today I discovered a new use for one of my vintage belts as a headband. I rather liked the effect. (Pictured with a Lorarty ring)

No comments: