Saturday, July 31, 2010

Everything looks brighter in Brighton.

Quick shout out to birthday boys Nate and Derek. Don't know where I'd be without you both :)

I'm on my way to Paris, but I had to make sure to catch up on the last of London before I had new adventures to post about.

Anyway, last Sunday, I escaped the confines of the city and took a train to Brighton; a lively seaside city that provided just the relief I needed.

The waterfront. Such a beach town feel, I was immediately nostalgic.

Brighton is the second most popular destination in England - there were so many people but it didn't feel crowded to me, the mood was so light at festive!

The beach was made of pebbles instead of sand. Not the easiest to walk on, but definitely cleaner and adds some really cool coloring to the scene.


The pebbles almost matched my dress.

I believe you would refer to this woman as a fishmonger. And yes, that's all raw seafood mixed together in "seafood salads" in little cups. Best idea ever. I wish California would pick this up, but I doubt it would pass sanitation standards. Soooo yummy too!

The orange stuff is shrimp cocktail sauce in case you're wondering.

Brighton is famous for it's pier. It's like a big carnival on water with arcades, rides, restaurants, bars, and the best donuts I've ever had (outside of Voodoo Donuts in Portland, Oregon of course).


Antique sewing machines in a shop window a few blocks inland. They filled two giant glass windows into this shop.

Wandering around, I came across the Royal Pavilion, a Russian inspired palace plopped right on the coast. The juxtaposition was a little weird, but it was worth poking around in, if only for novelty's sake.



Sunset in Brighton.

Famous fish and chips from a restaurant on the pier.

Ok this is totally random but I saw it walk home to the train station and thought it was one of the weirdest advertisements I'd ever seen. I don't know if the bars across it make it better or worse...

No comments: