Sunday, July 4, 2010

Fourth of July in Transit

Best Fourth of July quote I've seen so far: "America: Better than you since 1776."

Priceless.

I must admit, sitting in London, sunburned, exhausted and fully satisfied from a brilliant weekend, I am still bummed to be missing out on a truly American Independence Day. Newport Beach barbecues, San Diego fireworks, illegal home fireworks on hot pool decks, homemade ice cream, sunburns, family, and insolent, fantastic, Team-America-esque (as well as totally legit-veteran-esque) patriotism are truly priceless traditions...well, I have the sunburn at least :)

My friends and I left the Canary Islands (Las Palmas, Gran Canaria to be exact) mid-morning and we spent most of the day in transit. Bus to four hour plane ride to another bus to a two hour train (which happened to pass through Robin Hood's hood: Nottingham - that's another check off my bucket list); it was an exhausting day but completely worth it. Besides, the train ride (though WAY more expensive than we expected it to be) wound through miles and miles of amazing British countryside. It was all so green and beautiful, dotted with the occasional cottage and flock of sheep (I looked it up and grammatically it can be a flock or a herd), that I just sat and drank it all in until the light faded.

(Somewhere in Nottingham by Nottingham Forest. Obviously taken through a blurry train window.)

I have so many pictures from the weekend to organize! Full post of the Gran Canaria adventure will be coming soon, but for now, goodnight and may God Bless America!!!

(Las Canteras beach, Las Palmas)

No comments: