Wednesday, July 29, 2009

7th Grade Remix

Waiting on pics of Portland from my darling Patrick...so instead of delving into the secrets of that incredible city, check out my latest DIY project. The ripped up jeans look has been in and out, off and on again (see below) for the past couple seasons and I finally got around to giving it a shot.




(Ah! I love Taylor Momsen!)

I've got this old pair of bootcut Mudd jeans from 7th grade that I haven't worn in ages so I figured there wasn't much to lose by cutting them up.


First, I turned the jeans inside out and pinned the calves of the jeans in to form a skinny jean shape.
Next, I sewed them into shape and cut off the extra fabric after I made sure my feet could still fit through the bottom. Then I grabbed a piece of cardboard and stuck it down the leg of the jean (so I didn't accidently cut through to the other side) and used an x-acto knife to make horizontal slashes of varying lengths up and down the jean. Finally, I ran the jeans through the dryer to help distress the edges of the cuts. The result: an amazing new pair of jeans that didn't cost a cent! (and yes, that's a piece of toast in my hand!)

No comments: