Monday, July 13, 2009

The Journey Begins

Today began day one of this summer's EPIC ROAD TRIP! I only found out a week and a half ago that I was going to have this week off and things just came together. Left yesterday morning at 5:30, just as the sun was coming up and headed off to the beach. My goal: to make it to Portland via the Pacific Coast Highway all the way up from San Diego! (except for this little stretch north of San Francisco but whatever).
First stop was Calafia State Beach in San Clemente. Beautiful cliffs and right by the train tracks. Morning perfection.
Then stopped at Pearl Street Beach in Laguna Beach for breakfast. It's one of those hidden beaches where you have to turn down a bunch of little residential streets - the result was breathtaking! It was an incredible day, the water was clear, the beach was smooth and secluded and I just sat there with my Starbucks and homemade muffins and felt like the luckiest person on earth.
From there I headed to downtown Laguna for shopping and cruising art galleries. Browsed through some really incredible botiques: LF and Randy were my faves hands down.


Check out Forest St - SOOO cute!

My favorite thing about Laguna though are the restaurants and cafes - they're all so well designed and it's obvious that the owners took a lot of time making them look just so. Wish I'd taken some pics of them...
From Laguna I went to Santa Monica to meet up with a friend for lunch. Note to future travelers: do NOT, I repeat, do NOT take the PCH through Long Beach. EVER!!!! Ugh, it was ugly and hot and just one red light after another plus construction. Anyways, my friend took me to this super cute cafe on 2nd and Broadway in downtown Santa Monica. It was called Jinky's cafe I think. Breakfast all day... oh boy...
After a thoroughly filling portobello mushroom sandwhich I was back on the road. Once the PCH gets into Malibu and Ventura county it winds right along the coast between the ocean and the cliffs and it's truly spectacular. I had a hard time keeping my eyes on the road!

After visiting my aunt and uncle in Oxnard (SO good to see them again - my aunt is genuinely incredible. I love looking at old pictures of here - she had the power to just light up any room. She was cleaning out her closet at the time and she found a knockoff Chanel bag that looks just like an original (plus, it's a vintage knockoff! haha) and this awesome Gucci belt. I'm going to have to post pics of them soon) I headed on up to Santa Barbara to spend the night with my cousins. Whew! What a day!

No comments: