Friday, November 12, 2010

An Anti-Ode to Patent Leather

Currently in the process of stuffing favorite bits of my closet into my trusty St. John bag ready to head off on another adventure. This time: Seattle! After tonight's festivities of course. And as awesome a mood I'm in, a new playlist (Radical Face...Temper Trap...MGMT...) filling my room with its brilliance, I couldn't help but unleashing a little rant.

Enjoy :)

I am NOT a fan of patent leather. I don't really know why, but I fine its plastic-y sheen to be distinctly grating to the discriminating eye. I dunno...it just reeks Target to me. Not that there's anything wrong with Target, I love Target. Well, I love Target for cheap t-shirts and kitchen appliances and basic makeup supplies. But if I'm going to spend hundreds of dollars on something, I'd rather it not look like some kid's toy.

For example:


This is Proenza Shouler's new PS1. The second it was released Twitter went crazy over it but I just can't do it...

A few other examples. Some people will jump for these, but to me it just looks like plastic...


Jimmy Choo...


Ferragamo...

Apparently, this is Burberry Porsum...

I dunno guys, what do you think?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think patent leather, in the right applications and in tasteful a tasteful amount is wonderful. When it is overdone, like your carefully selected examples depict, yes, it looks tacky and overdone.