Saturday, November 20, 2010

Seattle Part 2

Day 2. Yum. It was another perfectly gloomy Seattle day - exactly as I had hoped. Started out with another omelette at Costa Cafe down the street from UW (University of Washington - pronounced "You-Dub"). Not as good as the day before, but still excellent. I'm pretty sure we spend a good two hours just eating breakfast and talking.


Inside Costa. Nice and cozy and full of college kids getting Sunday brunch.

Clairine had a nasty finance midterm to study for, so she dropped me at the Seattle Art Museum for a day of pondering and oooing at pretty things while she slaved away at practicality.


I have no idea what the hanging, glowing cars in the lobby were for, but they looked really cool. The place was packed - the Picasso exhibit had just opened a day or two before I think so everyone was streaming in to see it.


Absolutely beautiful. Puget Sound by Albert Biersdadt. Sometimes I feel like this picture is the story of my life. Really stormy and terrifying but at the same time beautiful and full of light and hope. Ok, maybe not just my life. Maybe life in general.

Pretty awesome Warhol.


The line for the Picasso exhibit. You waited downstairs in line to buy tickets for a time slot and then you couldn't get in this line until it was your time... I passed on this one. I saw Picasso in Madrid...


I just thought this horse was really pretty.


Gloria Petyarre. There is so much movement in this painting - it's mind boggling. I could stare at this for hours and just watch it shifting, rustling, swirling...crazy...


The China Room. I just thought it was a cool idea to hang a bunch of plates in a dark room full of mirrors and watch the effect. I half expected them to jump down suddenly and start singing "Be Our Guest!"


Made entirely out of dog tags. So brilliant.

I met up with Clairine again after her study session and we went back down to Pike's Place to sit and drink coffee and people watch and nibble on fantastic pastries from a chic little hideaway call Le Panier. I love French bakeries. It does make me a little sad that the baguettes I got for 70 cents in Paris cost at least $3 in the US...

An adorable screenshot from their website.


Pike's Place and downtown Seattle at night.


Clairine took me up on a hill overlooking the city. SO beautiful. The more time I spend here the more I realize that the Space Needle really has nothing to do with who this city is. It's like this odd George Lucas creation stuck in the middle of real life. Totally spooky in the fog too...


We had dinner at a great sushi place (I was in Seattle - eating fish was a necessary part of the experience) and then headed home and crashed. We were up at 5:45am to get me to the airport to get me home in time for work. Perfect weekend.

No comments: