Saturday, June 26, 2010

Elephant Parade

For the past few months, there have been elephants appearing around nearly every corner in London! As part of London's biggest outdoor art event on record, these elephants, each decorated by high profile artists and fashion designers, are meant to raise awareness for the quickly vanishing Asian elephant. I've been running into these often beautiful and sometimes quite strange creations all over the city and they're all being auctioned off this weekend, so I thought it only appropriate to dedicate a blog entry to a few of my favorites.

Today I went down to the Chelsea Royal Hospital where all of the elephants were gathered for the weekend. Such a cool exhibit and I wasn't the only one who thought so - the place was packed!


(By Meno Baars - kinda feels Balenciaga to me...)

(Bobby elephant by Thammakit Thamboon)

(By Phoebe Dickenson - reminds me of an impressionist painting, I really like this one!)

(Uncredited elephant - ahhhh I love it! I want to know who did this one!!)

(By Jeff Rowland. Definitely a favorite. It's romantic even though the people are actually on an elephant's rear end. Now that is talent.)

(By Nartkanok Laoamata - the bark texture is so creative - there was this group of adorable little old ladies that just couldn't get enough of it!)
(By Michael Howells. I like the colors of rust a lot. I could probably do an entire collection just inspired by rust...)
(Elephant in progress)
(By Angela Conner - I'd seen this grass idea used on step and repeats before (in particular a Louis Vuitton party) and really liked the idea, but I never thought I'd see it on a pachyderm!)

(Me and the elephant - wearing an LCS slip, vintage belt and Forever21 butterfly necklace)


For more information about the cause and how you can help, visit: http://www.elephantparadelondon.org/index.html or www.elephantfamily.org

Here are some earlier pics I took of the elephants out and about in London:


(Elephants in Green. It looks like they're marching on to Buckingham Palace!)



(By Gary Hodges, Green Park)

(Martin Aveling, Green Park)

(Julia Rogers, Green Park)

(Ashwan, Green Park)


No comments: