Monday, June 14, 2010

FIFA WORLD CUP!!!

I hate to admit it, but I really knew absolutely nothing about football (American speak: soccer) before I came to the UK this summer - I knew you're not supposed to touch the ball with your hands, and that's about it. However, the frenzy over the World Cup is infectious, and I've found myself swept up and the shouting and jumping and excitement, just like everyone else.

My friends and I were lucky enough to find ourselves in Trafalgar Square at 14:45 GMT on June 11. There was a HUGE screen set up in front of the National Gallery with piles of flags and noisemakers (and security) and hundreds of people crowded together to watch the opening game of the 2010 FIFA World Cup.


There was a giant football for people to sign and root for their home teams - so of course we had to get in on the fun.

(That's me - signing my support for the good old US of A)

Even Mini Cooper was getting into the World Cup spirit!!!

For the US vs UK game, the boys and I found an old British pub called the Globe and trotted up rickety stairs to join a pile of Brits crowded around a "telly." True to the American rebel spirit, we cheered on the US, something we certainly wouldn't have been bold enough to do in a larger establishment, but the 1 - 1 tie game left us a bit flat. Still, quite the British experience.

Next American game though, we're going to go to an American venue like Hard Rock Cafe or the Sports Cafe and just get rowdy. :)

On a side note, not EVERYONE in London is obsessed with football. I spotted this sign in front of a pub by Borough Market:



No comments: