Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Foodie Heaven and Dining Alfresco

Last weekend I ventured forth to explore a few of London's famous markets. From my experiences with markets in California, I expected a few locals with carts hawking their wares - little did I know what a giant, swarming PARTY markets can be! At Borough Market (located just south of London Bridge), I spotted girls walking around shopping for exotic condiments with glasses of champagne in their hands! Not to mention the live bands and (at Camden Market - to be covered in a later post) an actual DJ!

I visited Borough Market midmorning on Saturday. My goal was to pick up some bread and cheese and maybe a peach to take and eat out in St. James's park for lunch. This I accomplished, but it took all of my will power not to spend my entire day and budget wandering around and trying everything! Definitely coming back.


(assortment of sugars...I want to try cooking with these!)


(Cheeeeeeese!)

(Yes, these are ALL olives. I sampled a few and they were so delicious I wanted to try them all but I don't think the vendor would have been thrilled with that...)

(Nuts and dried fruit)

(Turkish delight. Since reading The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, I've been dying to try Turkish delight so I practically jumped at the vendor when he started offering samples. I had an almond flavored one and, while it was good, if I were Edmund I would have asked for something chocolate instead.)

(Raw fish. Un-sushified raw fish. Apparently it looks tasty to this guy.)

(Buns, baps, loaves, muffins, croissants, chocolate pastries...have I proved this is heaven yet?)

(In addition to ingredients, there's also a ton of vendors selling already prepared yummies. Stands like this one with giant bubbling vats of chicken curry are all over the place.)

And if the food wasn't enough, the Southwark Cathedral towers in the background to give the place even more character.



(My lunch: peach, wholegrain bap, soft cheese - I couldn't for the life of me understand what the lady said this cheese was called, but it was on sale...not my favorite, but I usually prefer hard cheeses or blues anyway.)

(It was the first sunny day since I'd arrived in London and the parks were packed with families, young couples, old couples, singles, backpackers...really a very cool vibe, something I wish California did.)

A sound track including Sweet Disposition by The Temper Trap and Orange Sky by Alexi Murdoch completed the perfection of my afternoon. (Totally random side note, Drive it like you stole it by The Glitch Mob is another amazing song though more appropriate for walking down Regent Street to my internship than relaxing in the park - thanks Maddie!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"something I wish California did" - have you never been to a park in California before?