Friday, June 11, 2010

Grand Sights Around the Historic UK

I've been in London for about 3.5 very full days now and so far I've been able to dash around the city a few times and take in some of those very essential (and in some cases not so essential) touristy things that you're just "supposed" to see while you're here. No good shots of Big Ben or Tower Bridge yet, but they're sure to come by the end of the summer.

(Wellington Arch)

(Westminster Abby)


(The site of the Tyburn tree: not really a tree, but an ancient gallows where they used to hang multiple criminals at a time. In those days, people used to take days off work and pay to go watch executions...like a cheap version of the Roman Colosseum. I kind of wonder why the Brits decided they needed to remember this spot. Then again, they do mark the doors of places famous murderers lived, so maybe it's a thing over here...yeah...stay away from houses with black plaques on them...)


(Prince Albert Memorial)


(Queen Victoria Memorial)


(Physical Energy Statue in Kensington Gardens by George Frederic Watts. I just think this is beautiful.)


(Marble Arch)


(The French Institute. I absolutely love the brick! Right down the street from the Natural History Museum. This is where classes for our program are held on Friday mornings. Business communications and all that; nothing any of us don't already know. The program is run by a company called EUSA. Totally shady bunch. We're spending a ridiculous amount of money to be here and I dunno...I'd really like to see where the majority of that money is going.)



(I took this because everyone takes pictures of the red telephone booths. I kinda like the black ones. They look like they should be secret entrances to the Ministry of Magic or something.)

No comments: