Saturday, October 16, 2010

Concept Fashion Week Day 1

What an adventure! Drove up to LA, got stuck in MAD traffic (think 3 miles in 45 minutes people!), got lost and sucked into a mile long abandoned warehouse district in east LA, finally made it to the event, had my necklace (same as I wore to First Cut but worn with the traditional black boots, black pants, black shirt, black blazer indicating that I was working the event) snapped by a fashion blogger, and ended up positioned at the end of the runway. Perfect. All I had was my phone's camera to snap surreptitiously during the show so the pics are terrible, but you get the idea.


The 101 in the fog. It was really pretty - kind of reminded me of Christmas.


The Mike Vensel show kept pretty close to this season's trends. Minimalism. Black. White. The cuts were really simple - the only truly eye-catching aspect was the series of dresses that cut literally up to the hip on one side. There was dirt scattered all down the runway which, while it was an interesting aesthetic choice, didn't smell very pretty and proved difficult for the models in stilettos to traverse. Many of them wobbled and one went crashing down and emerged with a brown smudge across her white dress...



Between the two shows, I headed upstairs to check out presentations by a few other designers. I found these to be much more inspiring, but I can't remember who they were by!


The night ended with the MartinMARTIN show. Think Rick Owens from the grave. I didn't really know what to think. There were definitely some very wearable pieces hidden in there though. And one seriously covet-worthy leather jacket.

You can't tell details from these pictures, but this model is swathed in layers of tulle like a shroud...


That's the leather jacket disappearing from sight...

For way better pictures than I took, check out this blog:
http://blogdowntown.com/2010/10/5774-concept-day-1-kucoon-mike-vensel-martinmartin

At one point, someone let a dog out and it ended up on the runway in the middle of the martinMARTIN show!


When the Vensel show was over, a woman approached me and asked me if I would model for her on Sunday. Um...YES?!? So it looks like modeling in LA Fashion Week is something I'll be able to check off my list pretty soon! You'd think that enough happened to make that night memorable, but there was more. I was crossing the street on my way back to the parking garage at 10:45ish when I got hit by a car! Not very hard - I didn't even fall over but STILL. It was a large metal object colliding with my body. Thankfully, it's been 24 hours and I'm not seeing bruising yet. I headed south afterwards and met up with some friends for a less than coherent game of Apples to Apples and made it to bed by 1:30. All in all it was a pretty awesome night.

No comments: