Sunday, July 10, 2011

Grilled Cheese and Shortcake - comfort food from the LCS kitchen

So being unemployed and all (though the part-time work has been picking up lately - always exciting!), I've had more time to devote to one of my favorite pastimes: playing with my food. Below are a few of the latest creations from the LCS Kitchen :)

Grilled Cheese

Decided to try a new take on the grilled cheese sandwich. So I sauteed some summer kitchen basics: garlic, onions, chicken breasts, and zucchini together in pasta sauce for about 45 mins til it was all breathtakingly tender...


..then poured it on top of a quartered grilled cheese sandwich. (I cooked the grilled cheese in olive oil and added a little garlic salt for kick. Would have been better w a different cheese, but mild cheddar was all I had...)




SO GOOD.

Egg-less Blueberry Shortcake

I ran out of eggs and chocolate and ice cream and cookies but I was CRAVING sugar so I found a recipe for egg-less shortcake online and whipped up some (little too flaky but still AMAZING) and used basil jelly for filling instead of whipped cream for a surprisingly fresh tasting and extremely sugary alternative. NOTE: sugar the blueberries and add a little bit of water, then leave in the fridge for at least half and hour and they start to develop a nice glaze :)



Not a Peanut Butter Sandwich

Comfort food doesn't get much better than peanut butter and chocolate on toast. Powdered sugar added just because I can.

(I admit, I indulge in this last one WAY too much...)

No comments: