Thursday, July 21, 2011

My First Encounter with the New York Fashion District

Let me first premise this post by reminding you that for the past two years I have relied on the resources of the Los Angeles Garment District for notions, fabric sourcing, etc. Through my adventures there I have snuck out of parking lots (because I didn't have a permit), parked my car on strange buildings (leaving my keys with strangers and praying they don't drive off), and pawed through endless tiny, cramped shops full of low quality fabric, trying to find a diamond in the rough to make it all worth while. In a few words, the LA Garment District is shoddy, dismal, dangerous, and dirty.

So when I ventured into the New York Fashion District last week, I expect more of the same. Maybe just bigger because it was New York after all.

What I found was a virtual wonderland of some of the most amazing collections of material I've ever seen in my life. There was just SO MUCH GOOD STUFF. I've been away from my sketchbook almost three months now, (my lack of inspiration most likely reflecting preoccupations like I don't know, job searches?) and I had an entire Resort AND Fall collection ricocheting through my brain after only two hours digging through the endless piles of goodies.

Below is a compilation of my discoveries. Normally, these would be trade secrets, but as my sewing machine is still in Orange County, I figured I might as well share...







See??? It's AMAZING. Pulled out "just a few" fabrics I'm absolutely dying to work with. Not telling you what I want to do with them though. That's cheating. Use your imagination :)




 (Ok, this one is obvious. Floor-length McQueen style skirt anyone?)



















 Actually scraped together the cash to buy this last one. Even though I don't currently have anything to sew it on...Stay tuned for a truly fabulous Fall creation...

No comments: